[taken july 8, 2011 in berlin, germany]
Recently I've been contemplating the idea of living and working abroad. It's always an idea that has been at the back of my mind. As somebody that loves travel, how cool would it be to essential travel as a job? Not really, obviously. Unless you were a flight attendant. Which I would also love to do and have considered extensively. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible at the time being with my lack of French language skills. Perhaps the only burden of being a Canadian is the inherent necessity to know both English and French. Which is difficult later in life. Sometimes I wish I had planned out my University studies better and included some French language training for myself. Alas.
So many options seem possible, and yet all so difficult and far away at the same time. I'm finding it especially difficult to try and co-ordinate some sort of cohesive plan.
I can't leave until at least May, when I'm finished school. But my work contract doesn't officially end until July, and it seems awkward to ask for references when you're still under contract to work for an employer. Also, my current lease doesn't expire until September. It seems burdensome to pay rent for a place where you aren't even living. Subletting would be difficult too, as a primary contact between the landlord and house.
Also, the endless possibilities are slightly overwhelming. On one hand, the entire world is open to me. On the other, much of it is closed off due to lack of relevant education and/or experience. I could teach English in Korea, but this doesn't appeal to me for any real reason other than the ability to travel within Asia. I would love to work in Europe, namely Germany, but my primary skill of English fluency isn't exactly in short demand there.
I'm sure something will work out, but it's really difficult being in this limbo of not being able to figure out what may work.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read every one and they are very much appreciated.
If you have any recommendations for my upcoming trips, please do let me know!